Match Reports‎ > ‎

Under 14A Feile Final 2019

posted 13 Mar 2019, 07:49 by Juarez South

Jimmy Coppinger Feile na nGael ‘A’ Final
Durlas Óg 2.09
Moycarkey Borris 1.09 AET
Ref: Martin Ryan
Durlas Óg withstood a rousing comeback surrendering an eight point lead in the final minutes of normal time. It was Evan Callanan’s thirty metre run and shot to the bottom corner that seperated the teams at the final whistle in a heart stopping final encounter.
There will be better days weather wise we hope will there be matches as good we certainly hope so too. Three points either side of half-time Durlas Óg were comfortable. Moycarkey hit the final six scores in normal time two more five minute halves needed. Extra-time the wind assisted team hit two points to keep it level and with a replay looking like the only outcome Evan hit the winner. That said there was one last chance when Bill Flanagan caught the ball as he turned the ball fell to ground only to be cleared.
Moycarkey probably dominated the territory but found it hard to shoot points into a strong wind and when the ball dropped inside the ‘21’ Durlas Óg’s back line were quick to clear. It took twelve minutes before any movement on the score board. The first clear chances fell to Durlas Óg who found Sean Graham in fine form making two excellent saves. The second wasn’t fully cleared Evan Callanan sent a ball back across Michael McCormack first time overhead hit the net. That was followed by a Daniel Rossiter point before Moycarkey got something to show for their efforts. Two Joe Egan frees gave plenty of encouragement. However another Joe, Joe Cornally was getting a lot of possesion and troubling the Borris backs. He hit the first of three Óg points that gave his team a five point gap at the break. Daniel Rossiter hit a free plus one from play, 1.04 - .02.
The second half was not without drama as Durlas Óg were reduced to fouteen after four minutes for an off the ball incident. Joe Cornally collected a free sending it over. Moments later a Durlas Óg wide was quickly forgotten as Daniel Rossiter caught the puck out sending it back over. Next up Mikey Lawlor sent a high point over. The lead was now eight with eight minutes gone in the second half. The tide was about to turn and in a five minute barrage Moycarkey pulled themselves level. Joe’s free got the ball rolling. The vital score Tom Ryan somehow dug out a ball Callum Twomey in the right place hit the goal. Cillian Doran, Liam Corcoran and the excellent Jack Hayes all pointed before another Joe Egan free tied up the teams. It was on to extra-time and neither team was allowing forwards the room to break away. Daniel Rossiter hit a free before Kieran Purcell capped a fine display with a point from play. The second half saw Moycarkey match that haul. That man Joe hit a final free before adding a point from play. Time was running out and with the wind Moycarkey were drawn up field a Durlas Óg clearence was collected by Evan Callanan he ran on unopposed side stepping the defender before firing home.

The final whistle brought to an end a highly entertaining match Chairman Michael Delaney pondered what the year ahead may hold given what we had just wittnessed. Along with sponsor Jimmy Coppinger & Secretary Catherine Dunne presented the trophy to cpatains Kieran Purcell & Daniel Rossiter.

Durlas Óg Panel: James Woodlock, Dan Carroll, Emmet Ralph, Conor Gleeson, Paul Noonan, Kieran Purcell (J/C ), Michael Keogh, Michael Lawlor, Aaron Moore, Daniel Rossiter (J/C), Joe Cornally, Keith Loughnane, Eoin Carew, Evan Callnan, Michael Mc Cormack. Tristan Kelly, Stephen Dwan
Moycarkey Borris Panel: Sean Graham, Daniel Hayes, Sean Hayes, Killian Cantwell, Louis Coughlan, David Costigan, Darragh O’Dwyer, Joe Egan, Liam Corcoran, Calum Twomey, Bill Flanagan, Mikey Carroll, Rhys McCarthy, Jack Hayes, Tom Ryan. Cillian Doran, Eamonn Ryan, Daniel Whelan, Odhran Lanphier, Mark Drohan, Micheal Treacy, Ciaran Stapleton, Patrick O’Donnell, Patrick Dowling, Frankie Butler.